Voice Teacher’s Guide to Women Composers
Hildegard is proud to be the leading publisher of vocal music by women composers. Voice teachers today find that it’s important to include repertoire by women composers among the study works and recital pieces that they assign for their students. To make these materials easier to locate and review, we have created this resource page specifically for voice teachers and their students. Listed below is a sampling of Hildegard Publishing’s vocal collections. Tables of contents and sample pages are included for each collection.
Art Songs and Spirituals by African-American Women Composers
Various Composers/ed. Vivian Taylor
This is a must-have collection of spirituals and composed works by a variety of African-American composers. No voice teacher should be without this essential resource.
First Solos: Songs by Women Composers
The repertoire for these volumes is designed for the young singer. With many vocal collections today containing few songs by women, this is an essential addition for the voice teacher to help build a good and varied vocal repertoire for the young student, male or female.
Nineteenth Century Art Song Collections
These seven volumes of nineteenth century art songs encompass a large and comprehensive collection of repertoire from American and European sources. An excellent teaching resource.
- American Art Songs, Volume I: High Voice • 491-00537 • $32.00
- American Art Songs, Volume II: Medium Voice • 491-00538 • $19.95
- English Art Songs, Volume I: High Voice • 491-00533 • $34.00
- English Art Songs, Volume II: Medium Voice • 491-00534 • $34.00
- French Art Songs, Volume I: Med./High Voice • 491-00535 • $21.95
- French Art Songs, Volume II: Medium/High Voice • 491-00536 • $34.95
- German Art Songs • 491-00539 • $34.50
Other Important Collections:
In addition to the anthologies listed above, we recommend the following single composer collections for study and exploration of the vocal repertoire.